Re: [CDT-L] New Lister

Mike -
Have you hiked the "official CDT" route through the Malpais south of Grants?
  We haven't - and still see no reason whatever to do so - and we have many
and varied reasons to avoid it.

Have you hiked the "offical CDT" route through the Black Range? We've hiked
part of that "official CDT" route - it sucked - it was the worst part of New
Mexico (details on request).  For us, the rest of New Mexico was, if not the
best part of the trip, at least on a par with anything else out there.
Personally, I fell in love with New Mexico and if I could find a job there
you can't imagine how fast I'd be moving there.

I'd suggest that if you're gonna encourage "purism" on the CDT, you go
thruhike it first.  Then come back and we'll talk about what you did - and
just how "impure" your hike might have been. There is not, never has been
and, God willing, never will be a "pure" hike on the CDT. To paraphrase
Seven of Nine - "Purism is irrelevant".

Oh, yeah --- The hike your own hike thing.  Yep, that's exactly what Ginny
told her to do.  Reference: trailwise.circumtech.com  (The Thruhiking
Papers).

Walk softly - your own way,
Jim