Re: [CDT-L] New Lister

Betsy, there is no official route through much of New Mexico, and much that
is "official" you really don't want to do.  There are routes shown on the
BLM maps that don't exist on the ground, and official stretches (in the
Gila) that haven't been maintained in years. The map we got from the Forest
Service showed incomplete sections there, even though that was one of the
first stretches of trail to be designated. There is one "official" section
through the Malpais that even the BLM (which managed it) told us not to
take, as it it was 40 miles waterless.  That may have changed, but that was
the situation when we went through there.  I suggest you join CDTS and get a
copy of Jim Wolf's recommended New Mexico Route.  We followed his route
through northern New Mexico (a good route, we thought) and followed
generally his route through southern New Mexico -- with some variations.  I
can send you information on our route and some alternatives we researched,
if you like. Dividends (the CDTS newsletter) gives alternate routes and
updates on the existing routes.  Another alternative is to contact the
Mountain Club of New Mexico (they have a web site).  They did a trail
reroute last year of the 50 mile stretch south of Cuba.

Don't worry about "official" or not official.  One of the great attractions
of the CDT is that you can pick your own route so that you make the hike
what you want it to be.  There is a tremendous freedom to that.  Purism is a
non-issue out there.

Ginny
(CDT 99)