Re: [CDT-L] Guidebooks: Your opinions appreciated

Jesse,
Good luck on your hike.  We hiked the CDT in 1999 and thought it was
terrific.  We used Jim Wolf's guides supplemented by information we got from
other hikers (*especially in NM where there are a LOT of possibilities).  I
thought Jim's books were great - very detailed, and mostly very accurate.
Unlike the Westcliffe books, he gives alternate routes with a preferance for
the more scenic alternatives.  The Westcliff books give only the "official"
route, which isn't necessarily the route you will want to take, for a lot of
good reasons.  (i.e. like water availability, weather, time etc.) For
finding water sources, they are a real necessity.  Even if you buy the
others, (assuming they ever get published), supplement them with Jim's
books.  Jim sells a map pack, but we just bought the maps individually - TI
maps for CO, Earthwalk Press maps for the Winds, BLM 1:100,000 maps for NM
and WY, and National Forest maps for the rest.  On occasion we would carry
and need as many as three different maps for an area.  Each has its problems
with accuracy and content.  Try to mark your maps before you go with the
various alternates so that you are sure you have all the maps you need.

If you can, get to one of the ALDHA Gatherings. The workshops and chance to
talk to people who have been there are invaluable.

Ginny Owen