[CDT-L] Help complete the CDT

Hi All, I saw this on the Backpacker.com web site and thought I would post it here. John

Monday, May 15, 2000

Help Complete The CDT

Hikers wanted. A hefty goal to complete the 3,100-mile Continental Divide Trail (CDT) by 2008 has trail organizers searching for volunteers this summer.

Trail workers can volunteer for several CDT projects in some of nation's most scenic and ecologically diverse wilderness areas, including Bob Marshall, Bridger-Teton, Mt. Zirkel, Weminuche, South San Juan, and Aldo Leopold. Volunteers can pick from single-day outings to weeklong backpacks.

This summer marks the second year in a new 10-year initiative to complete the long trail. And trail volunteers, officials say, play a crucial role in achieving the final goal.

Last year the Continental Divide Trail Alliance (CDTA) and federal land managers kicked off a national strategy to finish construction of nearly 1,200 miles of the CDT. In addition, the plan outlines over 800 miles of existing trail which need reconstruction and another 1,300 miles of the CDT that require planning, design, or surveys.

Part of the plan also educates local communities about the trail. To help out with public outreach programs, Recreational Equipment Inc. (REI) donated a $20,000 grant earlier this year. The CDT is "one of the world's greatest outdoor experiences. We believe this grant will help take the CDT to the next level," said REI CEO Dennis Madsen.

"It is difficult to find companies who want to fund these types of programs. ...We are proud of (REI's) support," said Bruce Ward, CDTA director.