[CDT-L] CDT-Segment #27

ATTN: Steve Stratton, Adopt-A-Trail Coordinator
Hi Steve!
   Earlier discussion on the CDT-List brings up a valid concern for this
segment [Chain of Craters, just south of Grants, NM] ... the lack of water
sources for thru-hikers.
   I wish to continue as volunteer "adopter" for this segment, but am
reluctant to continue construction and maintenance there until this issue is
resolved.  In essence, I feel that we are building a trail that nobody will
use until at least one reliable water source is established somewhere on its
length [preferably mid-way].  I have mentioned this to the BLM ranger
responsible for this area.  There is a potential water source available in
parts of this segment, but its use by hikers seems to be subject to
permission by local farmers [who evidently financed construction of the water
lines involved].  There is also a question of when the lines actually contain
water, since it appears that they are drained over winter.
   Could you please clarify this issue with Ken Jones at the Grant's BLM
office, and advise me of any results.
Thanks,
Tim Shaffer