Re: [CDT-L] Hostels

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:43:54 PDT "David Patterson" <wr_ddp@hotmail.com>
writes:
> >From: Chet J Fromm <trailblazer@juno.com>
> >To: cdt-l@backcountry.net
> >Subject: Re: [CDT-L] Hostels
> >Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 20:09:37 -0400
> >"Trevor Duncan" <duncantrevor@hotmail.com> writes:
> I am wondering if there are any hostels in the towns near the   CDT.
Also, are there any people offering shuttle service to the  norethern
terminus?

> >Shuttle from where? At East Glacier, you can catch the jammer bus
> >Prince Edward Lodge.
> >Hostels
> >East Glacier MT
> >Grand Lake CO
> >Silverthorne    CO
> >Cuba MN
> >Grants MN
> >Silver City MN
>
>  I don't think the Jammer runs in the early season when southbounders
> are  heading to the trailhead. Hitching is relatively easy in the park.
>
> There was a hostel in Winter Park, but Roger Carpenter (I think it was
him)  reported that it's closed. Roger, can you verify this?

> The hostel in Cuba is way outside of town and off route from the
> trail.
>
> Not sure of a hostel in Grants, but there are people in the area who
> are  taking in hikers.
>
> Also, no hostel that I know of in Silver city, but the Fire Station  #
2  allowed me and my partner to camp on their grounds.

Notes on Hostels

Silver City - The Carter House 101 N Cooper St (corner of Broadway n
Cooper)
22 beds

Cuba - Circle A Ranch Hostel 32 beds - You can call from Cuba for pickup.

Grants - Tom Bombaci (Probably on this list) owns it, it's also out of
town, like Cuba's

At Leadville CO - Club Lead  36 beds
If you go north, around Henrys Lake, where the official CDT is being
routed, and decide to enter (or exit) Yellowstone NP from West
Yellowstone -  West Yellowstone Hostel 25 beds Off trail slightly, but
easy hitch.

There are others around the nothern part of the CO Trail, but usually CDT
hikers pick up that trail at Copper Mtn, just south of Silverthorne.