Re: [CDT-L] tarp instead of tent

I'd have to agree with Jim, but at the same time disagree.

What you say is true alright, but I disagree for differant reasons.
Toby, if you have the experience of using a tarp, and feel comfortable using
one in various conditions(even extremes, where no one can bail you out), then
go for it. I'd darn sure advise you to NOT learn how to use one one on a CDL
thru hike tho.

I have used one for many years, from the summers and winters of NM, to the
same, all through Canada and Alaska. Infact, the only time I'll use a tent,
any season, is if I'm going to stay in the same spot for a couple or more
days.

Practice while hiking with someone that has a tent you can share, or close to
home when carrying a tent. That way you can always bail to the tent. Soon you
learn that the site is chosen more carefully with a tarp. Besides, it allows
you to more easily see what is sniffing around your camp. :-)

Cheers,
James