Re: [CDT-L] tarp instead of tent

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000 15:15:16 EST TJBAKOS@cs.com writes:

> I've been trying for a long time to cut packweight, and am
> considering switching to a tarp instead of tent.

Toby -
I've used a tarp on the AT a couple times.  But now every time I hear
someone talk about tarps, I remember some of the nights on the CDT where
there were literally millions of mosquitos just waiting for us to get out
of the tent.  We didn't sleep some nights because they were so loud.  I
also remember thunderstorms a nd snow in Colorado and Wyoming where the
tent kept us warmer than a tarp would have - and dryer.

You are, of course, certainly welcome to use a tarp, but I don't - and
probably won't.

Walk softly,
Jim