[CDT-L] [cdt-l] birds in cages

I hesitated to reply to this thread, just as I hesitated to reply to the
thread recently on the AT-list about what you do for a living. Because I know
that with serious hikers, there is this intense frustration about the
dichotomy between the "real world" and the world on the trail, and I don't
want to sound like I have it all figure out, because of course, nobody does.

But what I'm trying to say is that I have always believed that real life can
and does offer all of the wonderful things on the trail. Everyone's path to
it is different. In my case, I was really lucky because first, I simply
couldn't STAND being in the regular officey real world, so I just plain
couldn't do it; I was forced to create a life out of bits and pieces of
unmarketable abilities (music, writing, a little bit of teaching) and
passions. It DID take a really long time and a lot of work to get it
together, but I don't think thru-hikers are afraid of work. And, also, it
turned out that I could write in a marketable way and had a passion for it.

Obviously, we can't make our livings playing in the woods. But I really
believe that we can all create our lives out of the cage. That takes as much
courage, I think, as thru-hiking -- to live without a regular paycheck, or
benefits, or retirement -- and provide all that for yourself. It takes a
passion for finding your path. And yes, a little bit of tolerance for "real
world" crap (following up on late payments, paying insurance).

I just want to say, it's possible. But to live  outside the cage, you just go
there and refuse to go back in.

To:            miller84@matrix.newpaltz.edu, cdt-l@server2.iqsc.com