RE: [CDT-L] Mechanized use

At 04:46 PM 3/1/00 -0800, Robinson, Brian A wrote:
>Hi Roger,
>
>You mention appalling damage.  Was this from MOTORIZED dirt bikes or human
>powered ones?  I've seen appalling damage from the former, not the latter.
>
>I seem to be in the minority, but I can tolerate mountain bikers, especially
>if they'll join "the rest of us" to get the trails built and maintained.
>(But not in wilderness or National Parks, of course.)

         Let me step away from the list admin spot and voice a personal
(that's PERSONAL) opinion.
         I can also live with mountain bikes, if they're ridden with a
little consideration.  I sure don't appreciate being buzzed at 50 MPH on a
steep climb!

         And it seems to me that a group of pack animals leave an
INCREDIBLE amount of trail damage that bikes don't.

         And, finally, it gives me a real sense of accomplishment to get
somewhere on my own -- either by hiking, bicycling, or whatever.

         Earl