Re: [CDT-L] Mechanized and motorized use

In a message dated 2/27/00 12:58:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
wr_ddp@hotmail.com writes:

 Does anyone know why significant portions of the CDNST are open to motorized
 and mechanized travel? Also, is anything being done to eliminate and prevent
 these conflicting uses of our trail?

As to motorized travel, it is authorized to some extent under the National
Trails System Act (see a separate post on this). However, the Society has
been vigorously protesting the opening of any new sections of trail to
motorized vehicles.  See the current DIVIDEnds as to our success along the
Montana-Idaho border. Another example is the closure of the new trail between
Elk Park and Halfmoon Park north of Butte.  Moreover, the Forest Service has
adopted a policy of trying to separate the CDT from motorized traffic.  In
some cases, however, the use of jeep tracks (though technically open to
vehicles) is the best option, so we have not automatically opposed a segment
simply because it is open to motorized vehicles.

As to mechanized travel (mountain bikes), it is the Society's position that
they should not be allowed in the backcountry sections of the CDT any more
than they are allowed on the AT or PCT. Mountain bikes were not on the scene
when the comprehensive plan for the CDT was written, and there has never been
an environmental assessment that would justify their presence. (The trail was
conceived as a simple facility for the "hiker and horseman.")  We are hopeful
that we can get this situation corrected, or at least improved, and have
filed comments and appeals with the Forest Service for this purpose.

Who out there would like to write letters from time to time to the Forest
Service on these issues when they arise?

Incidentally, the Alliance appears to have an unlimited willingness to have
mountain bikes on the CDT everywhere outside of wilderness areas.  If anyone
has information to the contrary, it would be very welcome.

Jim Wolf