Re: [CDT-L] Motorized use and official routes (fwd)

In a message dated 2/27/00 4:31:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
miller@hep.Stanford.EDU writes:

 The National Trail Systems act does prohibit motorized vehicles on
 National Scenic trails, giving exception to owners of privately held land
 over which the trail crosses by cooperative agreement.
 (see one text copy I found of the act:)
 http://www.nps.gov/planning/elcanm/appdx.htm

--  That is not quite right. There is a general prohibition of motorized
vehicles by the general public on national scenic trails. But it goes on to
say that "... Other uses along the historic trails and the Continental Divide
National Scenic Trail, which will not substantially interfere with the nature
and purposes of the traiil, and which, at the time of designation, are
allowed by administrative regulations, INCLUDING THE USE OF MOTORIZED
VEHICLES, shall be permitted by the Secretary charged with the administration
of the trail."  Moreover, the section that designated the CDNST states that
"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 7(c) [quoted above], THE USE OF
MOTORIZED VEHICLES on roads which weill be deisnated segments of the
Continental Divide National Scenic Trail shall be permitted in accordance
with regulations perescribed by the appropriate Secretary."

 I wish I knew more about exactly what the Federal involvement is in
 establishment/construction/maintenance of the Trails; it seems to be
 minimal in that most progress seems to come from the dedication and
 volunteerism of individuals, some of whom are on this list.

  >>-- For a detailed history of Federal involvement, the best source is a
set of the back issues of DIVIDEnds, available from the Society.

Jim Wolf