[CDT-L] AT numbers

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:53:18 -0800 (PST) Mark Dixon <mkdixon1@excite.com>
writes:
> 10-15,000 thru hikers starting this spring?, Geeze! I thought I'd heard
the
> number starting on a normal year was about 3,000 or is that a really
> old estimate.

Mark -
Rumor last year was that over 2000 thruhikers went through Harpers Ferry.
 If true (and I haven't checked the number) it would mean that "at least"
4000 started.  Probably more.

We don't believe 10-15,000, but 8-10,000 isn't unbelievable - a LOT of
people were planning a Y2K hike.  You couldn't pay me enough to be out
there this year.  And we've already heard about more people starting the
PCT than we're comfortable with.  That's why we're leaving early - the
herd will be thinned and spread by the time they catch us.

Walk softly,
Jim