[CDT-L] Geez, Roger---what took you so long to join the List?

Good to see another surge of interest in this list!

I'd like to add to Roger Carpenter's comments about ALDHA-West.  Roger didn't
mention that he handed over the Secretary-Treasurership to me, thereby giving
him more time to play on the trails.  Meanwhile, I'm slaving away at keeping
the records..

Anyway, ALDHA-West is a good little organization, with a lot of energy, and
many CDT interests.  Our webpage (incidentally, originally created by Ron
Moak of this List), with membership information, is:
http://www.gorp.com/nonprof/aldhaw/

My own background includes the PCT 72-73, AT 74,  and 1500 miles of CDT
97-99.  Be forewarned: the long-distance bug will fester inside you
forever---and may resurface after 25 years!

Today's CDT reminds me a lot of what California was like in 1972-many route
variations, lots of "virtual" trail, too much road-walking, relatively few
distance-hikers, and a great sense of adventure in not knowing what every
step would bring.  (Wilderness Press' guidebook came out the following
winter).

Much as I loved the AT, I prefer the concept of a general Route, as opposed
to a specific Trail (this should stir up some more discussion!).  Plus, the
CDT still retains the adventure of just trying to figure out where the heck
you are and where you're going.  Sometimes, being within 5 miles of where you
hoped is pretty darn good!

-- Bert Ewing   (Eugene OR)