Re: [CDT-L] [cdt] responses to various things

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:07:39 EST KBerger466@aol.com writes:
> *I'm going to have to let Jim have the last word on water in New Mexico
since

I think that  "last word" belongs to Tim.  :-)

> *But I can't resist the chance to answer on another issue that yes, I
believe
> that there are enough CDT hikers now to create that sort of mob
mentality
> that I described re: Kennedy Meadows. We're all human, and it doesn't
take
> much to make us clump together, especially when we face the unknown.

Last year we met 6 thruhikers and 3 long distance section hikers on the
CDT.  At no time were more than 4 of us together in one place.  At no
time was there any desire or even possibility that we would "clump".  We
were headed in different directions on different time schedules with
different "agendas".  At no time did we even camp together.  We stayed in
the same hostel one night with 2 other hikers because GInny and I were a
day late leaving town (I was sick - food poisoning).  What we DID do was
to sit down, (sometimes) have a meal, and talk - about trail conditions,
water sources, routes, weather, Trail Angels and towns, other hikers and
anything else of interest.  The urge to "clump" was non-existent - even
abhorrent.  Maybe the "Kennedy Meadows" syndrome is a PCT thing - but it
doesn't seem to apply to the CDT - at least not  yet.  But come back in 5
years and we'll see if that's still true.

The other side of it is that there are places where you WANT to "clump"
if possible.  It's a lot safer to go through bear country (Glacier,
Yellowstone and the Bob Marshall at least) with as big a group as
possible.  Decreases the probability of bear problems.  We had a partner
for the first month, then we split - as planned.

> I even know one very experienced western thru-hiker who once
> thought about doing the AT just so she wouldn't have to deal with
> the condescension she felt. I admit, this is extreme, but I think it's
> interesting she had to be so aware of the AT on a PCT hike.

Not so extreme, Karen - one of this years CDT hikers was also turned off
by the AT attitudes that he'd run into on the PCT.  I've spent the last 5
years trying to educate people out of some of those attitudes on the at-l
list.  But there's another list where those attitudes are taught as
Gospel.  I don't go there.  Not quite true - I'm not "allowed" there.  I
was excommunicated from that list 2 years ago.  Thank God.

> *Whiteroot: Re fee "demo" program: I STRONGLY and COMPLETELY oppose
> it.

I'll join you in that opinion - I just don't think you said it strongly
enough.

A couple thoughts here - first, the fees are another form of tax - on
something that we're already being taxed for.  Second - the fees are high
enough already to exclude many of the people for whom the parks were
created in the first place.  Third - the fees are spreading - to the
State, county and municipal parks.  It's a great way for politicians to
raise more money without raising taxes on the general population.  And
fourth - the fees are already being raised.  I believe the Glacier NP
backcountry fee is now $5 per night per person.  Last year they were $4
per night per person.  How much will it be in 5 years?

> I've been shocked at the lack of response in the hiking community, and
the
> fact that the petitions and such that have been signed have been
ignored .
> I personally signed some, only to later hear managers from those very
> national forests quoted in the media as saying that there was no user
> opposition.

Why are you surprised?  If you take an *honest* look at what's been done
to the tobacco companies or what's being done to the gun makers, the
hypocrisy and dishonesty of the land managers is totally understandable.
The source of that dishonesty comes from the top - and those managers are
saying what they're told to say - regardless of the truth.  I'm not a
smoker nor do I condone it, but even less do I condone the level of
government interference that's been applied in the effort to drive them
out of business.  And that abuse of power isn't likely to stop with the
tobacco companies.  How long will it take for the abusers to get to the
thruhiking community - and in what way?

Too late!!  They've already started the fee program - and now they're
expanding it and raising the fees.  How many will be able to afford to
thruhike in 5 years when the fees are $20 or $30 per person per night and
apply on USFS and BLM lands as well?

Enough - I'm out of time --y'all have a good day.

Walk softly,
Jim