Re: [CDT-L] [cdt list] water in new mexico

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Karen!!

I have started to get in on this several times, but decided that I would likely
fail in my attempt to say it "correctly". You have done a beautiful job.

As someone that was born and raised in the ranching world of NM and then
homesteaded and worked for the BLM(fighting forest fires/bulding, maintaining,
cleaning trails) in AK, I have to say that all this talk about trail placement
and such hits close to home.

KBerger466@aol.com wrote:

> I'm responding to Jim's post about water in New Mexico.

LARGE SNIP............................

> But I did want to address the issue of water.
>
> I do think, Jim, that it's just unfeasible and not realistic to demand that
> to exist as a trail, there has to be guaranteed water all year at reasonable
> intervals. If that were the standard, there would be no PCT in southern Cal,
> no Arizona Trail, no trails in the Grand Canyon above the river -- need I go
> on?
>
> As you mentioned, most of the trail in this section is used by thru-hikers
> and long-distance section hikers. Those folks can handle 20-mile (plus) days
> -- if it's a 40-mile dry stretch, there only needs to be one reliable water
> source smack in the middle of it to meet thru-hikers' basic needs. I'd give a
> little credit to the person out there building trail if he says there
> are/will be water sources. The fact that national park and agency personnel
> don't know comes as no surprise to me, based on many years of trying to get
> information from such sources. The fact that that info isn't available to the
> public is just typical (unfortunately) -- but I guess that's what we all get
> for hiking a trail before it's in place.

Some of the places in NM are "wild, wolley, and free", because they take that
little extra to get to them. If someone is doing the CDT just to make a mark on
their hiking stick, then I hope NM either changes their thinking on it, or sends
them home licking their wounds.

....ANOUTHER SNIP........

> I agree that the route should be chosen with the needs of hikers (and, at
> least theoretically, horsemen, although we didn't see any horsepackers in
> N.M.). Of course, the route should not have a political-compromise location.
> And it should stay off paved roads -- Those things should be no-brainers. And
> yes, water is a crucial  consideration. A 40-mile dry stretch is indeed
> unacceptable. I don't see how anyone could argue with that.

Perhaps, unless a water drop can be setup for an area. I've had to do this for
shorter trips, but that were on a slower pace. Infact, much of my hiking in NM is
geared around water/weight/distance/time versa other gear.

> All I'm saying is that I think your criteria are not appropriate for this dry
> land. Is the solution water fountains every five miles with little CDT signs
> on them? I would hope not.

I some how, also see some needing a quaint little place to drink a malt and get
admiring looks from the locals or tourists..? This ain't the east coast folks,
and we don't want it to get to fussy here.
Meet NM on her terms and by her rules and you'll do just fine.

> One of the things I loved about the CDT was the constant adventure of it.
> And I'm sure glad there was no hiker grapevine the year I did it.

Bless you Karen. Several years ago(1986), I went down the Yukon River. It was
just that, a grand adventure, and I'm so glad I did it before the internet and
all the information came along.

This information and this list is great, but I'm beginning to see a real ugly
side to it as well, and it doesn't have a darn thing to do with hiking..., long
or short distance!

One small thing about the trash on the trails. As one that has literally hauled
out tons of trash, I can only say that, the easier it is for a person to get back
in there, the more trash. Also if "something" is carrying the trash(horse, ATV,
boat, etc), there will be more trash.
Many of the wild and beautiful spots are only protected from "us" because they
are difficult to get to. Soon the trails will be open to all levels of travel in
many areas. Those that saw it when it was still in the bickering era, will be the
lucky ones.

James, ENM, where it hasn't rained for ???, humity was 2% wednesday, and just
barely missed getting burned up in a prairie fire last week...but it's home.