[CDT-L] New Mexico: Water

Over the past few years I've hiked over 10,000 miles on the AT, PCT, and
CDT. In all the desert hiking I've encountered I found the route I chose
through New Mexico on public lands was the best watered. There was only one
place I recount running out of water in the entire state, and it was a
drought year. The area I'm refering to is the Plains of the San Augustine to
Pie Town. Alhtough there was water, a decomposing vulture was floating on
the surface. Need I elaborate more about that source.

Futhermore I tend to agree with Karen regarding the adventure of it all.
Sometimes you gamble and come up short on water or food. Heck I ran out of
food twice from Silver City to Pie Town while trying to find my way through
the blow-downs and snags around Diamond Peak north in the Aldo Leopold
Wilderness. And to make matters worse I was still about 17 miles from Pie
Town on Friday night after a gruelling 50+ mile day battling the fierce
spring winds racing across the Plains of the San Augustine. Believe me,
food, namely hunger is a powerful force and motivator. I hiked well into the
night, splept for a few hours, and hiked the distance to Pie Town before the
PO closed on Saturday morning on an empty stomach. At least my pack was
light!

Regarding trail organizations Tim, let's not compare apples to oranges.
There are grave differences between the outfits you mentioned.