Re: Hopeless searches, was Re: [at-l] compass

Thanks for sharing the story.  Nothing like love for a little one to get us
to do the silly, or the improbable, or the painful ...

At 11:16 AM 12/27/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I believe you did this because you HAD to do it. You could not have
"walked away" without having gone through the effort. It was a matter of
conscience, and had little to do with the probability of a payoff. Probably
the thing that makes hikers climb "pointless" ups and downs, too.
> And SOMETIMES, there actually IS a payoff. I recovered my AT stick twice
from near-hopeless circumstances. And three weeks ago, one of my Boys left
a Grateful Dead bear ("Daydream," for those who might collect) at a popular
city park 13 miles across town from the house. It was dark when we left, he
(the bear, not the Boy) must have slipped out of the door, and the absense
wasn't discovered till we unloaded the car at our arrival home. It was
late, we were hungry and needed to settle in for the night, and we didn't
know for sure where the bear was lost anyway.........But at 04:56am, it
bothered me enough to wake me up. I knew that if there WAS any hope to
recover the beloved bear, I needed to get there before the trendy
dog-walkers, who'd rightfully pick it up, carry it home, and probably give
it away for Christmas (It looked new). I dug out some flashlights, drove
across town in the freezing cold, and there, in the parking lot, was the
frost covered bear. I didn't even need to step out of the car. That was a
happy day.