Re: [at-l] Happy New Year, WarEagle, Free PC phone calls

Sorry Coosa. There is little reason for it. If the person that did the
hacking is a kid then perhaps he or she did it because he or she thought
it would be cool (sorry, kewl) to ruin a site that spends time describing
a journey of hundreds of miles on foot by a person who clearly is not at
all like the hacker (a guess, but likely). Sort of a, "if I can't play in
your sandbox I'll wreck it," attitude.

If the person is older then it is malicious intent because they can.

People write viruses and the like because they can. Some will try to
justify it as pointing out flaws in the systems they are violating. But,
the ones that really truly believe that are not releasing viruses and
when they find such flaws do what they can to get them corrected. Viruses
are also written by people who really want to cause harm. Sadly, many
systems are far less than secure and they are the obvious choices for
these people.

I've not said anything you probably haven't thought of yourself. I won't
try to answer the question of whether these people are evil or not. I'm
sure some really think they are doing a good thing by kicking at the shin
of "big brother" whomever that might be. Doesn't mean it is so...

  ** Ken **

**        krk@home.msen.com           http://home.msen.com/~krk     **