Re: [at-l] Trespassing on the Ice Ponds

At 09:47 PM 12/29/99 GMT, Earl Groce wrote:
>The Government is 100% overhead that creates nothing;  except through
>the generosity of its people.
>
>Nitebear,

I have to take exception to this generalization partly because I work for
the government (NYS) and partly because it ain't true. Governments create
parks, highways, libraries, hospitals, human services of all sorts,
perserve the peace, protect property, etc., etc., etc.

The real difference between rich folk and the government is that the rich
expect a profit (or a tax break) from what they create and the government
needs tax dollars to do anything. Rich folks do what they do (mostly) to
benefit themselves. Government does what it does (mostly) to benefit
others. Trust me on this. In over 25 years I've never gotten any stock
options, received a cent of profit or gotten a bonus when I did a great job
at a salary that averages 75% of comparable work in private industry. It's
rare to even get a "thank you".

Saunterer