Re: [at-l] compass

"David Hicks" <daveh@usit.net> wrote:

> Has anyone else gotten up in the AM on a foggy or overcast day, walked the
> blue blazed out to the trail, and not been able to remember if the blue
> blazed to the shelter had been on the right or left side of the trail the
> night before?
>
> Maybe it is just old older folk, but I checked my compass on more than one
> morning to see if I should go right or left.

If you do this, make sure you either double check the map (AT maps are virtually
worthless with a compass by the way) or be sure you take a bearing on the way in
to the shelter. The only person I know who checked their course with a compass
in the morning went North - and was going the wrong direction! The AT is NOT a
North/South trail for much of it's length.

-Paddler