Re: [at-l] suggestion for a 2-week hike in August

>Is it OK if  I ask these folks to reconsider doing a first time AT hike in
>August on the southern portion of the trail?
>
>Even being from FL I think they could easily have an unforgettable trip in
>the GA woods with the heat, humidity, bugs and steep portions of the trail.

Ogf course it's okay, but... I did my first backpacking (well, real
backpacking) and my first 3 days on the AT this past August in Georgia.  It
was great. ;-)  And usually I can't do heat - I mean, I have an inherited
thingie where I don't process water or heat well.  I did use e-mergen-C
powder in my water so I could absorb it better and drank plenty of it.
That also made it taste good which helped me want to drink more.

This year the summer heat was atrocious in Georgia and North Carolina,
especially in August, but my 3 days on the AT were not bad.  My son lives
an hour from the AT and we figured it was 10-15 degrees cooler on the trail
than down at his house, all the time.  Lots of leaf cover and nice breezes
on those mountains.  And yes, there are mountains in Georgia.  The most
common comment from hikers who come in to hike the AT in Georgia is: I
didn't think there were mountains in Georgia!

As for mileage? I would plan on 7-10 miles per day to start for
inexperienced mountain backpacker/hikers.  Even if they could do more they
probably shouldn't.  My take is keep the mileage just high enough to be
entertaining and just low enough that I don't get too worn out to enjoy
myself.  Different models, different ages, different mileage.  It isn't a
race, ya know.

Delita