Re: [at-l] compass

I strongly agree that knowing how to use map and compass are very good
skills to have. We all hope that we never get into a pinch but sometimes
it happens. A while back I sent a trip report from a hike I did to Three
Sister Mt near Estes Park, CO. From near the top I saw what I thought was
an approaching storm. I had already been warned that March was a snow
filled month for that part of the world so I didn't want to tarry on the
summit.

In hurrying down, I missed my turn and ended up on a horse trail. When I
realized that I was off track and not sure where I was or where I missed
my turn I felt a little scared. The short version of this story is that I
took a bearing off Long's Peak, guesstimated my location, used the map to
figure the bearing back to my car and in an hour was driving back to
town.

For the few ounces that map and compass weigh, I vote for carrying them.
Hopeful