RE: [at-l] Registers on the Web

Hi OrangeBug,

It was great to meet you this past April, and thanks for the ice cream and
ride into Franklin.

I agree with you in regards to not removing registers that were placed by
maintainers.  I have one register on my site from Mt. Algo Lean-to, which
was placed by an AMC caretaker.  When the hiker who took it asked me if I
wanted a copy, I said yes (because many of my friends, and I, had signed
it), but I asked why he'd taken it.  Apparently, it was his way of screwing
with the AMC!  We all know that lots of thru-hikers have real problems with
how the AMC manages their sections of the Trail.  I did convince this hiker
to mail the register back to the caretaker, who certainly uses some of the
comments to help improve that shelter and section of the trail for all of
us.

I know that some hikers leave their own registers in shelters where a
maintainer's register already exists.  I saw several of these in the Smokies
and in Maine.  How many people want to sign twice at one stop?  If you only
sign one, which one?  Or, do you divide your comments into factual data for
the maintainer's, and artistic thoughts for the hiker's?  Or, out of
frustration, how many hikers simply refuse to sign either register?  I say
that if a caretaker is  maintaining a register at a particular site, let him
or her, and don't interfere with their efforts at helping us.  There are
plenty of opportunities for every thru-hiker to set out at least one, if not
several, registers during the four to six months they're hiking.

Prehistoric Tony
mailto:PT@HikerTrash.net
http://www.HikerTrash.net