[at-l] Carrying a compass

My experience in carrying a compass is exactly the opposite of some of the
others who have replied.

I didn't use a compass at all until I had been on the trail for about 2-3
weeks.  Even then I didn't use it to navigate where I was going.  I did find
it helpful, however, in looking back on where I had been.  When maps,
guides, etc. give the names of certain landmarks such as mountains it is
sometimes hard for us flatlanders to know where to look for them.  I carry
the AT maps with me so it is much easier to locate landmarks by positioning
the map and taking a reading from the compass to make sure I am looking in
the right direction.  I carry a fairly simple model, but I enjoy the ability
to spot where I've been from the tops of mountains.