Re: [at-l] Registers on the Web

At 12:09 PM 12/21/99 EST, Trailmixup@aol.com wrote:
><< But my point was this - even if people (in general) want their notes to be
> read by others, and even if the register entries are attributed by others
> (be it Season on the Trail, or a www site with a scanned register) they are
> both redistributing the material of hikers without (most likely) their
> consent.>>
>
> -- The authors of register entries are writing their thoughts in a book
that
>they can expect will be read by those who visit the site where the book has
>been placed, as well as the club (or other "owner" of the book), after it's
>full.  Do those who make register entries anticipate that the book (or parts
>of the book) will be distributed/used in other than the above manner?
(okay,
>okay --except for law enforcement, rescue, etc. -- should these uncommon
>needs arise.)
>
>I know that my assumption has always been that the register entries have a
>somewhat "limited" audience.  My understanding was that some of the primary
>purposes of the registers are to capture thoughts of trail users, allow for
>self-expression and sharing of ideas, link members of the Trail community,
>and assist clubs in documenting trail use and maintaining or otherwise
>improving the trail sections for which they are responsible, through
comments
>shared by the users.

I've read somewhere that 15 Million (yes, the number with 6 zeros) people
are on the AT in the average year. Granted that they aren't all on the same
section and not all read the registers but they are all 'potential' readers
of your scribbling if you choose to write in the register. Not what I call
"limited". Did you know that in a country of over 250 million it takes only
about 10,000 in sales to get a book on the NY Times Best Seller List?

>Maybe the owners of registers who plan to distribute any of the comments in
>the registers in other (read "unanticipated") public arenas should make a
>notation in the front of the books stating that this is the case?  Just a
>thought.  (I seem to recall reading in some registers, notations from the
>maintaining club or owner making clear that the entries would be used for
>"this or that" purpose.)

God help us if registers all have to have disclaimers as to every potential
use to which they might be put at any point in the future. The notice I put
in my registers is a plea that hikers recognize the importance of the
register as a search and rescue tool and not use it to start their fire.
I've lost at least two that way.

>Another thought.  (Hey, "I'm talking and I can't shut up!")
>Isn't there a whole lore about the registers, including some "unwritten"
>rules about their use?  (For examples, the use of Trailnames vs. real names
>and the admonition (especially to those leaving the Trail) to not share
>information about the whereabouts of hikers still on the Trail so as not to
>make them vulnerable to "unscrupulous" characters.)
>
>I know that we have relaxed much in regards to the latter.  We readily share
>with one another on this list, "Was out hiking this weekend and ran into
>XX,YY, and ZZ at Blah-Blah Shelter.  They were having a ball and planning to
>do a town stop at ABC and hoping to reach DEF by the ++st. "  Just a few
>years ago, that kind of info-sharing was strongly discouraged.  What
>information *was* shared was long after the fact or vague sufficiently to
>obscure details that could increase a hiker's vulnerability.  For a time,
>such info was shared only after securing permission from the hiker.  We've
>arrived at a point in time where I suspect that permission to share is
rarely
>a thought in the minds of those sharing the info.
>
>I'm wondering if this practice is a good one or if, perhaps, it deserves
some
>re-evaluation?  Or am I just being paranoid?

If you're paranoid or want control or how your writing is used I repeat,
don't write stuff in registers and leave it for everyone read and use as
they will. Why would you want to write something you aren't comfortable
sharing with whomever might chance by? If you feel compelled to write then
draw a little 'c' in a circle and add the date, do it on your own paper and
take it with you. If it's a deep dark secret, don't write it at all.

I'm going to draw what may seem an odd comparison here to the discussion a
year ago about wearing blaze orange in hunting season. Many saw no problem
with the arguement that the burden of safety was on the hiker to dress in
bright orange so as to avoid being mistaken for a deer and being shot. I
knew a fellow some years back who was blind as the result of being shot in
the head by his own father. He readily accepted the hunting 'logic' the
although he had worn his red coat, it was his fault, not his father's,
because he had insisted on wearing his warmer brown hat and it was
reasonable for his father to mistake the hat for a deer. The logic escapes
me entirely.

Now we're involved in a debate where people seem to be arguing that one
should be able to write anything anywhere and retain control over who reads
it and under what conditions and if they can't they're being abused. I just
don't get it.

Saunterer