Re: [at-l] Registers on the Web

WOW!  My website sure has been getting a lot of hits in the last few days!
I guess Felix was right when he told me that bad publicity is better than no
publicity :-)

If you haven't already checked out what all the debate is about, you can
link directly to my register page, without wading through my whole site, at
http://members.xoom.com/ATRegisters

I'm sure most everyone will agree that there is no maliciousness or
deception intended on my part with posting these registers.  They are there
solely to provide a resource for "past hikers who wish to reminisce, future
hikers who want a glimpse of true Trail life, or family and friends of
hikers who desire a better understanding of their hiker's experience," as
stated in the introduction page of the register section of the site.  I am
only posting those registers that I left on the Trail myself which were
returned to me, or those registers left by other hikers who have a desire
for me to post them.  I do not claim a copyright for the material in those
registers, unless it's my own entry, and I do give credit to those who
donate the registers for posting.  Further, it would be impossible in most
cases to identify who actually made each individual entry.  Most hikers use
a Trail Name for the explicit purpose of anonymity.  Keep in mind, also,
that maintaining clubs do keep reference libraries of registers that their
shelter caretakers maintain.  The Maine Appalachian Trail Club, especially,
tries to maintain registers in all their shelters, and past registers are
available for public view (though not on the web).

I've just tried to bring a little Trail life to this commercialized world,
not vice versa.  On the Trail, we've all experienced a near utopian society.
Yes, people problems crop up now and them, but for the most part life
together is the best it can be out there.  Those of us who have been
fortunate enough to experience that enlightened lifestyle should want to try
to bring Trail philosophies back to the "civilized" world with us.  I
believe that in most cases the entries in these registers are just for fun,
not profit.  Though in some cases it's a hiker exercising his or her freedom
of speech on a topic they feel strongly about, and would want mass
dissemination.  In any case, if someone has a real problem with anything
anywhere on my website, I'm open to suggestions for correction.  I have
received a great number of e-mails from my website about these registers,
before the AT-L debate, from hikers and non-hikers.  All positive so far.

The only thing I've been concerned about is a parent scolding me because a
child read some of our rough language! :-)

Keep on trekkin',
Prehistoric Tony

Tony Nitz
mailto:PT@HikerTrash.net