Re: [at-l] Supplies List

At 08:57 AM 12/21/1999 -0500, Joshua Colvin wrote:
>Hike Length: 4-6 days total
>Hike Locale: Amicalola Falls and northward on AT for 2-3 days, then return
>              south.
>Start Date: Dec 26th (will arrive late)
>
>Hiking Supplies
>
>   Basics
>   1 2-person tent

First, give us the name and weight, so we can really tear it apart! (on all
of these items.)

>   1 down sleeping bag
>   1 sleeping pad
>   1 external frame backpack
>

>   Clothing
>   1 set long john's
>   1 standard military field jacket w/liner
>   1 sweater
>   1 pair glove liners (no, I don't own actual gloves :) )
>   2 t-shirts
>   1 pair of long pants
>   2 pairs of socks
>   2 pairs of undies

Why 2 undies and long johns?

>   1 boonie hat
>   1 cotton hat for keeping warm

Lose this hat. Get a fleece or wool hat. Remember the rule: Cotton Kills.
It gets wet and cold.

>   Medical
>   1 first aid kit + manual

What's in the kit. If you need a manual, you aren't ready to use it.

>   1 venom extractor kit

Lose this.

>   1 jar of water purifying tablets

Are they fresh?

>   foot powder
>   moleskin

Isn't this or similar in the 1st aid kit? And you are bringing duct tape?

>   sunscreen
>   soap

Lose the soap.

>   Misc
>   1 roll TP
>   bug spray  <---- don't think I need this
>   flashlight
>   duct tape
>   1 pocket knife
>   garbage bag
>   35 mm camera + extra zoom lens
>   lots of film

Too much weight here. Get a light weight camera, built in zoom if you
insist, or even better, a disposable camera.

>   matches
>

>   Food
>   2-person dinnerware set

Are there 2 of you?

>   1 tiny stove (and fuel)

Type, brand, weight....?

>   1 can opener
>   1 fork/knife/spoon

Duplicated utensils. You only need a spoon and a knife. Lose the can
opener, or you will bring heavy canned food.

>   6 PBJ sammiches
>   6 15 oz. beef stew cans

Ouch! Have you heard of Lipton's.

>   6 packets o' oatmeal
>   snacks (yet to be determined)
>   1 water bottle
>

>   Things I still need: poncho for backpack
>                        poncho for me

One poncho will do.

>                        whistle
>                        compass
>                        more water bottles or canteen or bladder
>                        rope?

Rope for the bear bag.

>   2 Questions
>   1) I've been told I can park my car at Amicalola Falls and pick it up
>      4-6 days later with no problem. Is this a safe assumption?

yes

>   2) I assume toilet facilities are dig a hole and let'er rip?

depends on what you mean by rip.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA