[at-l] Re: at-l-digest V1 #1417

>Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 06:39:00 -0800 (PST)
>From: Datto <datto992@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: [at-l] an aside to the IN listers...
>

>Wendell Wilke was from Elwood, Indiana near Muncie, Indiana (home
>of Ball State University). My first roommate at Ball State
>University was from near Elwood -- his father owned a funeral
>home and every Monday, Rick would return to school from home
>riding on the hearse from the funeral home with the siren and
>lights flashing. Sometimes Rick's eyes weren't even bloodshot
>too. The hearse would wait outside the dormitory until Rick would
>run in and grab his books, followed shortly thereafter by a ride
>on the outside running boards down to Rick's first Monday morning
>class, siren and lights still going strong.
>
>Rick said he'd give all of us a ride in the hearse but every time
>we showed up for our "Ride Down McKinley Avenue To Class" there
>was a 'guest' in there. No one would get in with the guest. This
>was pre-'Weekend at Bernie's' -- we didn't known any better.

There was a great story in the Eckville Shelter in PA this year about a
couple who got a hitch from a guy who had a dead body in the back.  He had
a legitimate reason, of course, something like being a funeral director
type, but still...  I didn't know the couple who wrote the story, but it
sounded like quite the adventure.  The guy evidently didn't think about the
body when he stopped to pick them up, and when he remembered (like the
second he stopped), he said, "Uh, you don't mind, do you?" and they said,
"No, not at all!"

He described the ride in great detail, but I still simply can't imagine...

--Sometime
ME->VA '99
GA->VA '00?