Re: [at-l] Registers on the Web

Just my 2 cents...

"Tom Janofsky" <twj175@voicenet.com> said:
<<But my point was this - even if people (in general) want their notes to be
read by others, and even if the register entries are attributed by others
(be it Season on the Trail, or a www site with a scanned register) they are
both redistributing the material of hikers without (most likely) their
consent.>>

My opinion during my thruhike last year was that I was writing in a place that
was open for the public to view.  If 1 person or 100 people or 1000 people saw
it, I had no control over that because I chose to write there.  In addition, in
the front of most of the registers was the 'owners' name.  The notebooks are
usually placed there by another hiker, with their name and address and a note
requesting that it be returned to them once it's full.  I personally know
several '98 thruhikers who got journals back this way and they're really psyched
to have them.  My opinion (just mine, nothing legal here) was that I knew
someone else was going to have possession of and control over my writing in the
end... so I gave my implied consent to their using it by choosing to write in
'their' register.  Of course, last year there were all those 'stolen'
registers... and if that guy uses the material I'll see what I can do about
stopping him.

And "Coosa" <coosa@alltel.net> said:
<<If a person doesn't want their poetry or their ramblings to become PUBLIC
DOMAIN then he or she should NOT place them where the public can read them
before they have been copyrighted.>>

I agree.

<<WF's Journals have a copyright statement -- all rights are his, and I'm
assuming those who decide to post there agree to that.>>

Actually I had my journal on his web page and I owned the copyright to it, not
WF.  I still do.  WF made that clear to us when we originally signed up to do
the project and it's noted on each journal homepage somewhere near the top.

Twilight