[at-l] Re: Year End Survey

Hey, I'll delurk for this...

 << 1) What were some highlights and lowlights of your hiking in 1999?<<
 Hi:  a four-day hike on the AT over the Halloween weekend, all dressed up
and "pretending" to be a thru-hiker.  Met some wonderful folks (thruhikers,
dayhikers, and maintainers) and had a REALLY great hike.  Full moon, great
weather, some special trail magic, feeling strong.
 Lo:  the above was my only multi-day hike (with only about 12 day hikes, in
addition and only one day of doing trail maintenance work) this year.  My
"dream job" (running a children's camp) became a nightmarish experience, kept
me working at a hectic pace for 20 hours each and every day AND I got lyme
disease (diagnosed and treated l-o-n-g after it had been contracted), and in
spite of being in the middle of some of the most gorgeous backwoods areas I
have ever found myself, the experience of the summer kept me from taking full
advantage of my beautiful surroundings.  (... and I didn't have email access
so I missed this list, too!)   1999 can be wiped from my memories without
argument from me.

  2) What are your hiking goals for 2000?
 'Hoping to be living in Dutchess County (NY), near the Trail and assisting
with trail work and shelter care.  Being that close to the Trail should
afford me the opp to get out often.  Not gonna affix a hard number or get in
the least bit specific in the planning just now -- gonna just go with the
flow.

  3) What are some highlights and lowlights of the at-l from 1999?
  highlights:  Aw, shucks.  You are the warmest, most endearing, creative,
etc., etc. folks anyone could encounter. I love the stories, the banter, the
humor, the wisdom....
  lowlights:  Even in this fine community we occasionally become petty and
mean-spirited.  It diminishes the feeling of community for me and saddens my
heart when it happens.

  4) What would you wish to the list be for 2000?  >>
 Peace, good will, and plenty of hiking (. . . and hiking tales shared --
whether fiction or non-)!

 Trailmixup