Re: [at-l] Year End Survey

* Message posted to AT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Tony Nitz <PT@HikerTrash.net>.
* Please use <mailto:PT@HikerTrash.net> to reply to the sender.

I guess I'd be classified as a "lurker", but here's my survey answers for Sloetoe:

1) What were some highlights and lowlights of your hiking in 1999?

highlights: In '97, I southbounded from Maine to Rusty's, where I had to quit my hike unexpectedly due to military obligations.  This year, I was able to to finally finish the Trail, hiking northbound from Georgia to Rusty's, and hiked the last segment with Terminator, a friend from '97.

lowlights: Loosing a friend.  Pilot, also a friend from '97, asked me to hike northbound with her this past winter.  I met her in Duncannon, PA, in late January, and we hiked for six weeks together to Killington, VT.  Too much ice and snow, too much cold, and much too much isolated time alone caused us to become thoroughly tired of each other, and we parted with unnecessary bad feelings.  She quit her northbound thru-hike for a month, and I went to Georgia to hike.  She's in Africa now with the Peace Corps.  If anyone hear's from her (Felix?), tell her I wish she'd write.

2) What are your hiking goals for 2000?

Thru-hiking the PCT northbound, then a yo-yo (that's right, a winter southbound on the PCT).

3) What are some highlights and lowlights of the at-l from 1999?

highlights: renewing contact with several new friends I made on my GA->Rusty's section this year.

lowlights: none (not even Felix!)

4) What would you wish to the list be for 2000?

I wish the Y2K bug was a real problem, so all the computers really would crash, leaving more time and reason for everyone here to hike!  Most of you probably won't be that lucky, though.  Seriously, I wish the AT Class of 2000 the most wonderful adventures on the Trail this year.

Prehistoric Tony (or P.T. for short)
http://www.hikertrash.net