[at-l] Re: Year End Survey

     Hey Mrs Gorp, questions like this just might draw
lurkers like me out of the shadows.

> 1) What were some highlights and lowlights of your
> hiking in 1999?
>
> Highlights:  Standing on Springer May 13 with the
summer ahead of me.  Kincorra.  The Grayson Highlands
with the Rhododendrons in full bloom.  Attack of the
licking goats of Sinking Creek Mountain (their main
source of salt in the summer seems to be sweaty
hikers).  A half gallon of cherry jubilee at Pine
Grove Furnace SP.  Yuengling Lager.  A night at
Pinwheel Vista.  Crossing Mount Washington with the
temperature approaching 70, the only cloud visible
came from the cog railroad and the wind on the summit
was gusting to 7mph.  The view of Katahdin from White
Cap.  Pittsburgh's spaghetti feed at Katahdin Stream
Campground.  And of course, standing on the summit of
Katahdin with Chase and Blisterbutt before the day's
crowds arrived (Sept. 24).

> Lowlight:  Knee pain after doing too many miles too
soon in Georgia which caused my first and last moment
of doubt about continuing.  Reading, in the shelter
logs before Erwin, about the death of Green Mountain
Man.  Walking from Uncle Johnny's to the post office
with my thumb out.  Drought and Heat, us Vermonters
aren't used to either.  Discovering, after painfully
hiking to Waynsboro that my size 9 feet were now size
10 1/2.  Losing food to the vicious, acrobatic mice in
nearly every shelter that I stayed in in Maine's
hundred mile wilderness.  Leaving the trail.

> 2) What are your hiking goals for 2000?
     Who knows? Everything'll pale in comparison to
this year.

> 3) What are some highlights and lowlights of the
> at-l from 1999?
>
> Highlight:
 Subscribing, the day before I left for The Gathering.

> Lowlight:
 Haven't had one yet.

> 4) What would your wish to the list be for 2000?

   That you all spend more time looking at the roots
rocks and mud in the trail ahead of you than at a
computer scteen.

                         Now It's back to the shadows,

                         Cobweb