[at-l] Winter hiker intro

Hello Listers.  I just thought I'd officially introduce myself and invite those craving a new journal to read my own humble effort coming this January.

I've corrosponded with a few of you but for the rest, my name is Glenn ( just G for short ) and I am planning to start at Amicalola on the 31st.  I am starting alone although I know there are a few others planning to start about the same time.  I suspect I'll be hiking on and off with them for awhile.

In constructing my timetable/maildrops I have assumed about a six month hike although I expect to finish earlier than that.  I'm beginning my journey with a couple weeks of eight mile days and building milage from there.  I'm not too concerned about finish dates as I've quit my job, moved all my stuff into storage, and shouldn't have any loose ends to worry
about.  My parents have been gracious enough to handle my mail, my soon to be ex-roomate is sending my maildrops, two friends are working as transcribers, and another two friends will care for and feed my web/ftp server.

I cannot claim any AT miles and being from the midwest, I cannot claim any mountains.  Southern Ohio has no dearth of PUDs though, and Michigan and northern Ohio have shown me snow.  I'm an all season camper/hiker/backpacker and am really looking forward to winter/spring/summer on the trail.  My transcribers will post my journal to
http://BigG.penguinpowered.com/ as they receive it.  Hopefully they will also have time to develop some of my photographs and include them as well.  Note that the above server will be down December 22-23 when I move it to it's new home.

It's current home and mine as well is Dearborn Heights, Michigan although I'm originally from Ohio.  I'm a 27 year old computer consultant gainfully employed at Ford until the 23rd.  I've been backpacking a couple years now and consider myself moderately experienced.  Other outdoor activities I enjoy are skiing, snowboarding, climbing, rappelling,
skydiving, white water rafting, and canoeing.  I'd like to learn to kayak and do some mountaineering in the future.  I'm doing the AT simply because I like the outdoors and the adventure aspect of it - no more, no less.

For those who wonder about such things, I don't care whether you are: (in no particular order)
1) a section or thru hiker
2) someone who drinks
3) someone who uses drugs
4) using different gear than I
5) carrying more weight than I
6) carrying less weight than I
7) carrying a cellphone
8) carring other sundry electronic gear
9) carrying a weapon

That concludes this test of the hiker introduction system.... Now back to packing up my apartment.

Yours hikefully,
-=G=-
GA->ME 2000
http://BigG.penguinpowered.com/