Re: [at-l] How the AT changed my life

At 10:57 AM 12/16/99 -0800, KC wrote:

>> Not to be crass, but what about that needed the AT? Wouldn't the top of
>the Empire State building do the same thing? Huh? Huh? What was special to
>your hike? (And by the way, KC, 800 freakin' miles is more than a "section"
>IMHO. Jeez.)
>>
>> > Any section hikers out there speak up. Do you also feel that it was a
>life
>> > changing experience?> Saunterer
>> It has changed both of our lives for ever! KC
>>

>Yes,,,it was the AT,,,first off,,,I had been a "housewife" of sorts for the
>last 13 years. I went back to college and got a degree,,,but for the most
>part I was a "housewife." On the AT I proved to myself once again that "I"
>could climb those mountains. I could carry a pack,,,I could walk in total
>pain,,I could enjoy another human beings company. The fight with WF showed
>me that I could still hike "my" own hike. It had been a very long time that
>I had done anything just for myself,,,hiking the AT was just that for me. I
>hiked it and I learned why I was so unhappy at "home." I had to be away that
>long,,,March 1st till the middle of July. I had to be "out of touch" with
>"home." The calls made home while in town where awful,,,I dreaded them. I
>was able to talk to others on the trail about this and figured out why I was
>so unhappy. Of course,,,my plan was to go home and "fix" the
>problem,,,BUT,,,it ended up that I could not fix it,,,and had to leave. The
>experience of the AT gave me the courage and I mean courage (I was scared to
>death to leave) to leave those comfortable and secure surroundings. So,,,you
>see,,,it was the AT that changed my life. (after a long crying spell this
>morning,,,I still feel I did the right thing). KC

I'm sorry that my question brought you tears KC. It wasn't meant ot cause
pain. I don't really consider you a section hiker for the purpose of my
question. I was thinking of those folks who spend 2, 3 or 4 weeks a year
(not always consecutive) whittling away at the AT until they do it all.

I suppose the life changing effect can come much sooner but my question was
prompted by reading "WALKING NORTH" by Mic Lowther. He was nearly to the
end of his hike before the woods and mountains overcame his "civilized"
mind set and he realized that he would see life differently after that. I
recall accounts of similar experiences in other books and realized that 1)
it's mostly thru-hikers who write about their journey and 2) I couldn't
recall a section hiker mentioning such an experience in those accounts I
did find.

It is by no means guaranteed that it will affect a thru-hiker in that way.
I remember comments by some saying they expected such an experience but it
never happened. I remember a few leaving the trail without finishing
because after this experience 'finishing' was no longer important to them.
BTW I recommend "WALKING NORTH" to all the journal readers out there. It's
a very good book. You'll have to get on his lending library list. There are
no copies available for purchase. It's a shame. I'd like a copy of my own
but I have to forward it to the next person on the list.

Saunterer