Re: [at-l] Change In Life After Hiking the AT

At 08:58 AM 12/16/99 EST, Robert L Dudley wrote:
>OK where is the flame proof long john's.  Oh here they are!!!  Give me a
>second to change into them.
..clip..
>There is a fifth group, a very small and special group.  These people hit
>the trail seeking solace and healing.  One must go and search for
>healing, it does not find you.  One of the most touching journals that I
>have read this year wa Susan Cooper's Journal.  Susan is a breast cancer
>survivor, the only remaining one of a group of women who where diagnosed
>at the same time.  In her hike see discovered a lot about herself and was
>able to m,ourn the loss of her friends.  Another good journal was April
>Moon's from two years ago.  She found what she wanted well before she
>finished her hike.  Unfortunately Winged of Foot removed her journal off
>of his site because she did not finish her hike.  You guys are too damn
>macho.  Single Malts journal was pretty good, changes were happening to
>him without him realizing it until the near of the end of his hike.  Good
>journal, you all should read it.
>
>Well, I will keep my flame proof long johns on for a couiple of days.
>Hike in Peace this Holiday Season.
>
>Grey Owl
No flames here. I started the thread. I'm well aware of the first 4 groups
you mentioned although I hadn't troubled myself to divide them into 4
groups. I saw them as one group. I observed 2 years ago that the early
thru-hikers whose jounnals I read seemed (generally) to be more of a
personal oddessy and the newer crop seemed (generally) to be more of a
moving party. I suspect that the 'oddessy' types are still out there in
about the same numbers but are increasingly out numbered by the partiers.

My question, as I said when I asked it, was not to compare effort or to
give either group more or less respect but to learn if the psychological
effect noted by 'some' thru-hikers was unique to thru-hikers. It makes
sense that the longer time spent in such an effort would be more likely to
produce (though by no means guarantee) such an effect.

BTW - I have great respect for Section-hikers. It requires reall dedication
to keep going back year after year until it's done,

Saunterer