Re: [at-l] bear bagging

In a message dated 12/15/99 8:13:13 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
lparker@cacaphony.net writes:

<< Unlike the original poster, I HAVE seen the results of a bear trying to get
 food out of a tent. It wasn't pretty.

 Oddly enough, the owner of the tent was a park ranger and was sleeping in
 the shelter. The tent contained emergency rations that were being
 transported into the backcountry >>

Tent alone don't scare bears away, but peoples presence does!  Every bear
I've seen in the wilderness has taken off like a jack rabbit.

Just so happens I don't bear bag either and when I staying "in" my tent, I
keep my food with me.  In over 200 some odd nights staying in my tent as
opposed to using shelters or bear boxes or bear poles where availiable, the
last three years, I have never had a problem.

Obviously, your mileage varies,  Sly