[at-l] If you can't shoot it, eat it, or drink it...In defense of through hikers

>>> "Christopher Wood" <CHRISW@LANDMARKNET.NET> 12/16/99 08:11AM >>>who has hiked the AT and the PCT, responded to:
>fools rush in where angels fear to tread....
with the gracious:
that would make me a two trailed hiking fool, that sounds cool

Sloetoe slides in with some purely elitist comments, hoping not to offend the not-easily offended:
Alright, you've all heard my opinion on whether section-hiking 2000 milers had a tougher time than throughhiking 2000 milers (yes), and whether (by implication) section hiking 2000 milers deserve more respect than throughhiking 2000 milers (yes, again). You've also been witness to my cavalier reliance on science (eek!), and not Madison Avenue misinformation feedback loops on the necessity (or rather lack thereof) of water filters. Thus, I'm not so proud of my own (or others) accomplishment that I can't see how much easier was spending six months straight versus all the trials of the section hiker, but I'm also not so blind to the simple wisdom of the throughhiker, of  extended trail wisdom — Occam's Razor self-applied to my own pack and ways and means — Tuckerized by another name — that I didn't benefit from _keeping_ the sharp eye on what works, could work, or don't want to try, on my way to becoming a successful 2000 miler through hiker and beyond.

Now, along comes poor Hoops, who's hiked both the AT and the PCT. Even if he was a fast hiker, he has probably had 300 opportunities to critter-bag his food. Most of 'em consecutive. And in a variety of circumstances. And even if he carried a Thermarest from end to end (chuckle, eh Felix?), or a 5 pound tent with hoops and stakes (snort!), or something else I might turn up my effete-technique nose at (after all, I know it all, right?), I would still remind myself that he is still one of the clan of through hikers, and has bunches of recent experience upon which to rely, and probably makes a good life for himself while out on the trail, by making choices which, while I might not agree with every one of them, are still choices made in light of and informed by a boatload of experience — tempered and hardened consecutive experience — which section hikers or day hikers or non-hikers just may not understand.

In the rush of technological application which has occurred in the last 70 years, the military, and especially the highly mobile units like the Marines, constantly face some desk-jockey trying to push some new form of equipment onto their unit — which means into their packs. A long time ago, the phrase became, "If you can't shoot it, eat it, or drink it, it don't belong in your pack!" Successful 2000 miler Throughhikers carry much the same ethos; it's the same you hear in the Lynn Wheldon "Lightweight Revolution" video, and it applies to articles, techniques, chores, whole lifestyles. "If it don't get you to Maine, it don't belong in your pack!"

Hoops got to Maine. (Hoops got from Mexico to Canada, for that matter.) He had opportunity to test, drop, and add to his daily regime, and he found little use for critter bagging on the AT. I am happy to hear of his experience, and will take it under advisement. (An understatement, that. He's a recent throughhiker, and I am going to listen closely.) Occam's Razor will cut differently for all of us, but as a throughhiker, Hoops had more opportunity to wield it. "Hike your own hike." also means 'pack your own pack.' For life and other areas.

Have just an experiential day,
Sloetoe'79