Re: [at-l] Hanging Food - I'm a spaz.

Must be time for me to get vocal -- again.  Can't claim Pocahontas but I
'spect some of the Salem witches were kin.  Now we are three and ain't we
got fun?

As for hanging food bags:
(1) some people think their other stuff don't smell, neither
(2) there's no way I know of to actually secure food from critters
(3) I, too, got way lucky in my 2000 miles of both very long (1500 mi.) and
very short (weekend) AT hikes but got a wee hole gnawed in my hip pack last
time I bragged on that w/out knocking on wood
(4) the best we can do isn't good enough to spare the lives of animals who
eat the wrong garbage or become too dangerous, but we better do it anyway or
stop saying we love the outdoors and are entitled to play in it any time we
wanna.

-- and that's all I have to say about that!

Except that SNP bear poles are ridiculously too short and too close to
shelters but getting bags on/off of 'em is pretty hilarious.

NJ has a really successful idea with their metal lockers, set in concrete,
at a good distance from shelters. [I  sat on one, one evening, glaring at a
little bear who wanted the supper I was eating and the food bag in the box
under my determined butt.  Later I moved my tent into the shelter and armed
myself with lots of fist-sized rocks. Nearly threw some at the rangers who
dropped by just after dark with the good news that if I'd seen the little
bear that probably meant the big one who'd been taking packs off hikers
backs was somewhere else at the moment.  As luck would have it, that was one
of the 6 nights out of about 150 that I actually camped alone.  I made
exceptionally good time out of there the next morning!]

Oh yeah, and one time I hung a bear bag and the whole tree fell over because
it was dead -- but who coulda known?  There weren't any leaves on any of 'em
yet!