[at-l] Pack selection advice...

Hey:

I could use some help in my current pack search for a thru hike starting in
the spring.  I've been looking for a *while* and I thought I'd narrowed it
down, but now I've got the second thoughts coming on.  My gear is fairly
lightweight, but so clearly not minimalist.  I'll be carrying under 25 lbs
gear + food and water.  That just the amount I'm cofortable starting out
with.  I also  really like the idea of having a little extra space and
flexibility so I don't have to depend on as many town visits, etc.

I was really sold on the Gregory reality for a while.  It's light, it fits
all my stuff and was pretty comfortable to boot.  But a couple weeks ago I
tried on an Arc'Teryx Bora 65 (which is only slightly larger ~350 cu.in.),
and spent a few hours walking around with each.

My impressions after doing that were as follows.  (Keep in mind here that I
have traditionally carried heavier packs and loads)

Reality - It fit better than any pack I had tried worn to that point, and
had a "light" feel to it.  I wasn't overly impressed with the feel of the
harness, but it rode light enough that even after a couple hours it didn't
really bother me in any way.  Overall - it fit very well, but I wondered how
it would feel when I had more weight in it, or when I was strapping it back
on at the end of the afternoon.  In particular the belt worried me.  I'm a
cinch-up-the-belt kind of hiker and the strap on this one kind of raised my
eyebrows.

Then I wore the Arc'Teryx Bora 65 around (with the same load) for another
few hours (the people there are getting to love me for sure ... is this guy
ever going to buy a pack?).  I could feel that it was heavier (it weighs
about 5 lb, 14 oz, as opposed to 4, 13 for the reality - both weights in my
size) but it felt better than any pack I've ever put on.  The harness and
back panel were just great.  (And the belt is quite different than the
reality - much heftier, much stronger).  So after tromping all over the
stair and the boot ramp for a couple hours I felt that it wore better on me
than the Gregory - but I could also feel that it was heavier.

I've heard form a number of people who have used both packs, and both groups
have had nothing but nice things to say.

Basically my dilemma is that I think I want to get the Arc'Teryx, but I'm
sort of sweating the extra pound.  I could lose a couple ounces by losing
some of the silliness (straps, loops) but it's still a jump.  Would anyone
like to enlighten me based off your experience?  I'm sure I'd be fine
starting out with either, but do you think I'd be more thankful after 500
miles that I went with the better fit and feel, or that I saved myself
around a pound?  Or do you think I'm just being silly? (and I'm sure you'd
love to tell me that)

thanks a bunch-

tom j