Re: [at-l] Pack for small person

I researched this extensively last year, and the choice I made was for the Tough Traveler "Camper" internal frame pack. 2200ci, 2.2 pounds, intelligently designed — as a scaled down adult pack, not just a smaller bag which puts the weight in exactly the wrong places), adjustable for ages (approximately) 5-11. And around $100.00, I think. There is a website.

The others I found on the market were far too heavy (more than 1 pound per thousand cubic inches capacity), and not adjustable far enough down for six year olds. (You may not have the adjustment concern, though, with a 9 year old.) Weight is the killer, though. If a small person has carrying capacity of 10-12 or maybe 15 pounds, why on earth would you want to use up that capacity carrying a 4 pound pack????? That's up to 40% of their precious carrying ability is lost to some Madison Avenue bonehead selling to insecure parents (who are) thinking Junior's pack has to last through ten years of abuse. IT DON'T! It's just got to last 100 miles. Find 'em as light as possible, keep Junior happy, and buy 'em a new one when the need arises. HOPE the need arises.

My kids have used their packs twice, once for overnight. They love 'em.

Sloetoe

Oh, and sleeping bag? Integral Designs "Assiniboine", about one pound, about $100, good down to 21*F they claim — my kids were comfy in fleece pullover down to 19*F. stuffs smaller than your forearm. Well, my forearm, but I'm a skinney runt. Ask around.

Sloetoe.

Oh, and buy 'em a Ridgerest and cut it down.
And get 'em an ID bivy, too. They'll LOVE it.
I'll send you pictures of my Cole sitting up in his on top of Max Patch, grinning ear to ear with the sunrise just starting. Beautiful.

About (2.2+1.5+.5) 4.2 pounds for pack, bag and shelter, and pad. A pound of water and a pound of food leaves almost 4 pounds for everything else your small one might want to take (a pound of Hot Wheels goes a long way, and there's MANY colors in a pound of Crayola's).

Go for it.

>>> "L. Parker" <lparker@cacaphony.net> 12/10/99 06:01PM >>>
I need suggestions on an internal frame pack for a 9-10 year old. My 1700 ci
Mountainsmith Tyrol is about the right capacity, but even cinched all the
way up, it is still to big to ride comfortably.

Does anyone out there have experience with a 1700 to 2400 ci pack that will
adjust way down? If it is a women's pack, please be sensitive to the fact
that this is a 9 year old boy, he has already indicated that Turquiose is
not a favorite color!

Thanks in advance,

Lee I  Joe
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid broadside, thoroughly used
up, worn out, shouting "GERONIMO".