[at-l] Daughters on The Appalachian Trail (or anywhere else)

I don't know how old the daughters are, but I do know that having three
daughters ages 18, 21, and 24, there is not a whole lot you can do if the
daughter really wants to do something once she is an adult.  Two years ago,
my oldest daughter saved up money her senior year in college to spend a year
traveling around India and Nepal.  I was thrilled for her following her
dreams, but terrified for her as a mother.  She was traveling by herself
across the world, I had no idea where she was except general areas, and had
no way of getting ahold of her.  Twice, we went 4 weeks without hearing from
her because we did not get her emails.  Yes, it was hard on us at times
because of course, we worried, but she had such an enlightening experience, I
am so proud of her stretching out of her comfort zone.  She made it back safe
and sound, was home for 11 months to save up more money and is now back in
Nepal studying Tibetian languages and Buddhism.

Obviously, India is a little further away than the AT.  I consider the AT a
much safer place to be than India, and believe that young adults should
follow their dreams.  How sad to look back on your life and always wish you
had done something.  When Beth went to India, she started the travels with
another woman, and remarked how she so much appreciated our attitude of
supporting her and her dreams.  The other woman felt very alienated from her
mother because of all the crying the mother did about her going to the other
side of the world.  We let her know that there wouldn't be a day that we
wouldn't worry about her, but she needed to do what she felt was important.
Needless to say, this has brought us closer together.  If the daugher is an
adult, my feelings are the more you say against what she wants to accomplish,
the more she will resent you.  Why not try to find out more about the trail
and why it is a safe place to be, probably more safe than where she is living
right now.  The trail community is very protective of each other.

My middle daugher plans to thru hike next year after she graduates from
college, and I hope she follows through with her dreams too.  Of course, I
will be jealous, because I won't be doing my thru hike until the year 2005
when my youngest daughter graduates from college.  I do get to go do a 4 week
trek in the Himalayian mountains, the Annapurna Curcuit, with Beth this next
spring.  It is pretty nice to learn to stretch from you daughters!

Leapfrog