Re: [at-l] Appalachian Trail

AT-L Guest Post wrote:

> My daughter has just informed me that she wants to do this trail with a friend next spring.  I'm about to have a canary, as I do not want her to do this.  Any info. to help dissuade her.

Just happen to have some hands-on experience with this one.  My wife and I were in the same position two years ago, only our daughter wanted to do it alone.
Since then, one of our daughters completed a thru-hike of the AT in '98 and a thru-hike of Colorado Trail in '99.  Her younger sister hiked half the AT in '99 and plans to complete the trail
in 2000.
As far as trying to dissuade your daughter,  I am reminded of a saying  that goes something like this..."It's like trying to teach a pig to sing.  It doesn't work and it annoys the pig".
Feel free to email me privately to discuss your dilemma.
Steve