Re: [at-l] Crampon advice?

    I've used crampons quite a number of times on my hikes in the Catskills.
I find the instep crampons to be virtually useless, since (1) you have to be
certain that you're putting your feet down in a way that the crampons will
hit the rock before the rest of your foot, and (2) instep crampons come off
very easily.  So I always use the full-length 12-point crampons.

    Whether or not to wear crampons when there are only patches of ice here
and there is a tough question.  It takes several minutes to put the crampons
on, so constantly putting them on and taking them off is not really an
option.  And it is not pleasant to walk on rocks with them.  Nevertheless, if
there are sheets of ice covering the trail in many places, and these icy
spots cannot be bypassed by walking around them, the only safe course of
action is to wear the crampons for the entire hike (or at least for any part
of the hike where you might encounter icy conditions).  This will scratch the
rocks to some extent, but that cannot be helped.  And, of course, it will
also dull your crampons.  But I think it's the only reasonable alternative
under these conditions.

        Daniel Chazin
        Teaneck, NJ