Re: [at-l] water filters revisted -JAMAICA-

 <A HREF="http://travel.state.gov/jamaica.html">Jamaica - Consular
Information Sheet</A>

 <A HREF="http://www.cdc.gov/travel/caribean.htm">caribean.htm at www.cdc.gov<
/A>
THIS INFO. IS FROM THE CDC.
To Stay Healthy, Do:
•Drink only bottled or boiled water, or carbonated (bubbly) drinks in
cans or bottles. Avoid tap water, fountain drinks, and ice cubes. If
this is not possible, make water safer by BOTH filtering through an
"absolute 1-micron or less" filter AND adding iodine tablets to the
filtered water. "Absolute 1-micron filters" are found in camping/outdoor
supply stores. •If you visit an area where there is risk for malaria,
take your malaria prevention medication before, during, and after
travel, as directed. (See your doctor for a prescription.) •Protect
yourself from insects by remaining in well-screened areas, using
repellents (applied sparingly at >4-hour intervals) and
permethrin-impregnated mosquito nets, and wearing long-sleeved shirts
and long pants from dusk through dawn. •To prevent fungal and parasitic
infections, keep feet clean and dry, and do not go barefoot.

To Avoid Getting Sick:
•Don’t eat food purchased from street vendors. •Don’t drink beverages
with ice. •Don’t handle animals (especially monkeys, dogs, and cats), to
avoid bites and serious diseases (including rabies and plague). •Don’t
swim in fresh water. Salt water is usually safer.

What You Need To Bring with You:
•Long-sleeved shirt and long pants to wear whenever possible to prevent
illnesses carried by insects (e.g., malaria, dengue, and leishmaniasis).
 •Insect repellent containing DEET (diethylmethyltoluamide), in 30%–35%
strength for adults and 6%–10% for children. If you are not staying in
air-conditioned or well-screened housing, you should purchase a bed net
impregnated with the insecticide permethrin. (Bed nets can be purchased
in camping or military supply stores.) •Over-the-counter antidiarrheal
medicine to take if you have diarrhea. •Iodine tablets and portable
water filters to purify water if bottled water is not available. See
above for more detailed information about water filters. •Sunblock,
sunglasses, hat. •Prescription medications: make sure you have enough to
last during your trip, as well as a copy of the prescription(s).