Re: [at-l] fantasy gear

In a message dated 12/1/99 10:29:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
patv@falcon.cc.ukans.edu writes:

<< A while back we had a thread on gear and clothing we'd like to have.
 These days I'm wishing for a synthetic long john top with a hood.
 Anybody know of anything like that? >>

I know this won't help Chocolate, but if any of you find yourself in the
White Mountains of NH, and have the time, means and inclination, check out
Ragged Mountain Outfitters on Rt 16 in North Conway.  I was in there for the
first time the other day and was very impressed.  As you walk in the door,
you are greated by the usual array of packs, stoves, hi-tech clothing and
gadgets.  Come in a little further so you can see arounnd the corner and you
find a large section devoted to climbing with no less tha 17 different ice
axes and 10 different crampons on display.  Wander down beyone this and you
see a small room at the foot of a set of stairs that displays cross country
skiing gear.  If you take the time to enter this room and turn around, you
will find the back wall devoted to snowshoing, and yet another set of stairs
descending to yet another room.  Drawn on now, by sheer inertia, you descend
to find a large room of more garments, tents, sleeping bags, and a large
selection of used gear that they handle on a consignment basis.  And finally,
as you wander through these treasures you notice on the far side of the room
an archway labeled "Fabric Shop."  A peak through the doorway shows a large
cutting table surrounded by racks of every conceivable weight and color of
nylon, coated or uncoated, cordura, fleece, thermax, screening etc. etc.
These racks are in turn surrounded by bins of buckles, straps, snaps,
zippers, hooks, catches, etc. etc.  and a myriad of clothing patterns
including vests, coats, anoraks, pants, bibs, hats, gloves, etc. etc.  By
this time, I was experiencing severe overload and had to leave before I could
dig out my credit card and order one of everything.

So maybe the place to find fantasy gear is in a fantasy store.

Snail Male
I may not be young, but I'm slow.