[at-l] I'm on THE List

What list? you ask.

Well, it might be the short list of people that have been good enough to get
presents from Santa, rather than a stocking full of coal.  But it's not.

It might be the long list of people who have slept with Bill Clinton, but
it's not that either.

It's the waiting list at Limmer Boots, currently estimated at a four year
wait for what some claim to be the best hiking boot in the world.  While
others, particularly the ultraliters would argue this claim, we could all
agree that at the very least, Limmers have become a cult classic among
outdoorsmen.  Made, one pair at a time to tracings and measurements of the
customers' feet, little has changed in the design or the impeccable
craftsmanship of these boots since Peter Limmer began the business, two
generations ago.  It is continued in the same tradition today by his
grandson, Peter Limmer.

Currently tripping over the light fantastic in a pair of Vasque Clarion
Gore-TeX boots, I was after something better.  My current boots were bought
under the "let us see which styles we have in your size" purchasing plan,
from EMS.  I don't know why 13 EE are such an odd size, but I don't ever
recall going into a store, picking out the style I liked and being able to
buy my size in them.  In fact most stores now stock nothing but medium width.
 So I'd had enough.  Enough cramped toes, enough squeezed feet, and enough
putting up with something less than I wanted.  And four short years from now,
I won't have to put up with any of that any more.

In the meantime, I'm trying to get a pair of their "stock" boots, made to
their specifications in Europe, and sold in standard sizes.  For some reason,
the one size I needed, was out of stock until later this week.  They had 1/2
size smaller which left me feeling both heel and toe against the boot at the
same time, and 1/2 size larger which allowed the sides of the boot to cinch
almost together when laced properly.  So I will be returning later this week
to buy their stock boot, which will hopefully last me the 4 years until the
custom boots are ready.

They warned me that the boots are heavy, at 4.5 pounds per pair.  I explained
that it wouldn't be a problem, since I have a tendency to float away when
exposed to the lowered pressures at altitude.  They further educated me that
all their boots require break in, although the closer the fit to your foot,
the less break in is required.  They ask that you take them home and wear
them around inside the house (what do those of us with dirt floors do?) until
you can comfortably wear them for several hours at a time with no hot spots.
Then and only then do you take them outside.  Of course if you choose, you
can stop on your way home from their store and use them to hike, in which
case you own them right then and there.  If you find they do not break in to
your foot, and have only been worn in the house, they can be returned to
Limmer.  They weren't sure what retail outlets which handled their stock boot
were offering for a policy on this.

Anyway,  enough of this.  Neat place, great people and an outstanding boot.
And now, I'm on their list.

Snail Male   (Pete Wells)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece,
but to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out,
shouting "GERONIMO."