Re: [at-l] MSR Miniworks

I've carried the MSR Miniworks filter on two long
hikes on the AT since 1997, and on many shorter
section hikes on the PCT.  As Mark suggested in his
original post, I carry iodine tabs as a backup, but
seldom use them.  I've carried this filter for more
than 4000 miles of hiking, and estimate that I've
filtered more than 400 gallons of water with it so
far.  Except for regular cleaning, I've not needed to
perform any maintenance on the filter, and am still
using the original filter element.  Judging by the
measuring tool provided with the filter, I'll probably
be able to filter at least another 100 gallons before
replacing the element.

The Miniworks is relatively heavy, an even pound, but
is very convenient to use and filters large volumes of
water quickly.  It's the first filter I've owned, but
after my experience with it, and the problems I've
seen other hikers have with other filters, I wouldn't
carry anything else.  Recommendation to Mark, don't
bother carrying any maintenance items, except a scrub
pad to clean the ceramic element, and don't worry
about needing to replace the element (unless you drop
it during cleaning and crack it!).

=====