Re: [at-l] To tree or not to tree

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 13:44:08 PST "Mara Factor" <m_factor@hotmail.com>
wrote:
Subject: Re: [at-l] To tree or not to tree

>Just a thought or two...
>
>Most commercially available trees are farmed.  Buying them only
peripherally
>contributes to deforestation (the cleared land used for the farm).

I suspect, for the most part, the reverse is true here in the east.  Small
farms, each supporting a family on land cleared many generations ago, are
being converted to tree farms ( a type of reforestation -- albeit not a true
natural forest).  The family can no longer live off a small scale farm in
the world of big agri-business.  So, for a generation or two, they work for
someone else and tree farm as a supplemental or part-time business.
Eventually, you sell out to a big timber company, as we did to Continual
Can.

BTW -- not all the trees you see on the corner lot were grown for the
Christmas Tree Market.  Believe it or not, there are tree rustlers.  Back
when dad was alive, he and a number of his neighbors were rustled of young
trees planted for the lumber market.

Chainsaw