[at-l] Morememories

Well, a year ago this a.m. had Calamity Jane walking back to the
shelter, after a trip to the privy, saying "That's a nice privy. And,
there's toilet paper, too." That is one of my favorite quotes of
all-time. Sundown left the shelter before the rest of us as he needed to
get to the Catawba P.O. LL, CJ and I spent some time on MacAfee Knob
doing what you do on MacAfee Knob. On our way down the hill to 311, a
good friend of mine, Southpaw, met us with snacks. He took me to the
General Store for lunch. On our way down the hill, we passed Sundown in
a pick up truck going back to the Trail. He had made the P.O. After
spending an hour or two eating and talking to Southpaw, we went back up
the hill to the parking lot where the AT crosses 311. As I'm getting out
of the car, I noticed Sundown running down the Trail, from the south, to
the parking lot, with no pack. "What's wrong, Sundown?" I asked. "Every
f*ing thing." Seems his package had not arrived at the P.O. He had
stashed his pack and RAN down the Trail looking for LL and CJ. He was
going to get the address of Stoat's sister in DC (where we were going to
spend Thanksgiving) and have his mom mail the package there, instead.
Once we figured out an alternative, he calmed down and things were fine.
Somewhere south of Dragon's Tooth, it got dark. There was a dog (I'm
guessing) on the Trail in front of me that I would 'scare-up' about
every 10 minutes. I never saw it, just heard the leaves rustling. We
camped just across the road where the big creek is (Trout Creek?). It
got COLD in the valley that night. The next day, Stoat was picking us up
for food, rest, food and showers.

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA 98